Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Shoerack

I have beautiful shoes. There are the black patent leather t-pumps, a cute pair of red polka-dot ballet slippers, and of course, my velvet wedge sandals with the blue paisley on the heels. I have flip-flops, sequined flip-flops, flip-flops with small little brown stones adorning them, flip-flops with heels, and not to mention, the beach flip-flops. I have sweet brown lace-ups in 1940s style and leopard peep toes. But by all accounts, the reigning queen of my shoe rack(s) must be the Tahari black knee-high boots I snagged last year, with their perfectly proportioned heel and row of covered Victorian buttons up the side.

I am not bragging about this -- many women have beautiful shoes, and if you've seen some of my other fashion choices in the past, you applaud me for my choice in footwear. But lately, I don't even have those.

I work in a "no shoe" office, going for sometimes 24 hours without putting on shoes (other than my "yard" flip-flops). Yes, the woman who hated the fact that others took off their shoes in the office now never wears hers to begin with! The earrings are in, the lip gloss glistens in the reflection of the computer screen, but the shoes? Nonexistent.

Dressed in my standard office attire is no problem, but putting on those great leopard peep toes to walk around my house just seems kind of silly. In a house of hardwood floors, the sound of my heels would just send the alert to the dogs to get in "someone is leaving" mode (following room to room before resigning to pout on the couch and throw dirty looks in my direction), so it's barefoot I stay at my little desk.

And of course, I'm barefoot as I write this. Next time we see each other, let's go shopping for shoes.

2 comments:

  1. i actually thought about my love of being barefoot this morning when i refused to put my shoes on until the second before i walked out the door. i even talked about my love of it with my dental hygienist yesterday morning! she has an orthopedic doctor client who told her everyone should wear shoes at all times... even have them by your bed to slip them on to walk around the house. ridiculous! umm... i don't think we came out of the womb with miniature danskos with added appropriate arch support.

    the first thing i do when i walk in my house is take my shoes off. i'd prefer to only wear them when my saturday night outfit requires it.

    amen to your posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.k., you're a step ahead of many women. Here's me in my house, including the 4 months that I was only freelancing with no other "outside" job: 1. I'm lucky if I get out of my pajamas (a.k.a. loungewear). 2. I know quality flip flops more thoroughly than anyone else I've ever met, maybe besides my father. I can spot a pair that are really worth it, dollar for dollar, from a mile away. It's all about how many YEARS you can get out of the flops if you were compelled to wear them every day due to a loathing for having confined feet, and also about their ability to conform perfectly to YOUR feet. So, I have a closet full of these, 'cause if I'm not barefoot, I'm next to it.
    3. When I come home, the first thing I do is strip all the extras off and slip into one of my "housecoats". There is a template for my housecoats -- sleevless, loose, soft cotton, cut right above the knee. The jewelry is the first to go and then the rest comes off. BIG headband and even bigger panties on, and I'm ready to chill. 4. I hang out in my bathing suit for long periods of time, just like a child. If I put it on in the morning to hit the beach or toil in the yard, chances of me still having it on under my "housecoat" in the evening are high. I dunno...it keep me young.
    5. I love shopping, but the older I get I just want to shop for things that I'd never wear in public b/c I want everything to feel and hang like bed sheets. I think they have a name for this -- LUSH. (Oprah calls it a shlumpadinka.)

    So, you're doin' real good, Sassy Britches! If you need to keep putting your pants on everyday to get things done, more power to you! But I vote you go the way of the unworn shoes and leave more of the b.s. in the closet. There are advantages to never getting dressed -- weren't some of the best books written by people who decided against it?

    PS: Should I ever have my own business/organization, we will relish in unworn shoes!

    Miss you, Twinkle Toes!

    ReplyDelete