Friday, September 12, 2008

The kindness of (not so) strangers

Selflessness. It's rare and it's hardly an American attribute, we a people full of our get-rich-quick, narcissistic and often insular pursuits. But the flip side is that there are generous people out there mixed in with all the shady dealers and mirror-obsessed ones.

I had an editor suggest recently that I contact another highly regarded editor and mention his name. He said that he needed to pay back some karma and do something good for a freelance writer. I was happy to be that person and subsequently, that editor's suggestion, no matter the outcome, was a gesture that went above and beyond mere assignment. 

Then there was my conversation this week with one of my most trusted historical sources. I've gone to him many times over the years for help and reference, and he's always been kind and quick to respond. Yes, he loves history, but he is generous with that knowledge and heck, he's even taken photos for me in a pinch. He is a sincerely genteel man, and this time, he responded by sending some extra research my way -- a big time saver since a deadline is looming. 

But I have been blessed by a generosity that surpasses these by far, and that is with a beautifully constructed website that I could not afford at the moment. A dear artist/poet friend constructed it in his "spare" time (this is a busy man) and now I have a face to show to the world.

Generosity personified. Thank you Marcus. And please check out his handiwork at www.stephanieburtwilliams.com. 




No comments:

Post a Comment