Thursday, August 27, 2009

Artists & Tacos, Oh My!


Charlotte is, and has always been a city of neighborhoods. There are completely different experiences of life depending if you are in Shuffletown, Dilworth, or Myers Park. One of my favorite neighborhoods there is NODA because it figures in my personal history as well.

Up until a few years ago, I refused to call the North Charlotte neighborhood by the moniker NODA. I'd been going there for years, attending gallery crawls in renovated hardware stores, making jewelry in a tiny bead shop, and chowing down on some great sandwiches at Fat City. Before that, years before that, I'd even taken swimming lessons at the Johnson YMCA. And before that, years before that, my father had lived out his childhood playing baseball in this same neighborhood. It was part of Charlotte, it was part of me, and really to call it NODA was just too much ...

Well, repeat it enough and the name sticks, and well, it's now legitimate -- NODA it is. Although I no longer live in Charlotte, I get back often and try to visit 36th and N. Davidson Streets whenever I get a chance. Gone is Fat City, so I grab a taco at Cabo Fish Taco then stroll through the galleries. Honestly, it is a great destination for a day trip for those of you within driving distance.

Check out my article on NODA in the current issue of AAA Go Magazine, then find a day to visit if you like art and good food. And linger a while. You'll be back, just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment