Thursday, August 18, 2011

An eater's diary

I eat lunch out in Charleston a lot. I mean, a lot. Well, not everyday or anything, but a lot for someone who works within walking distance of her own well-stocked fridge. Of course, eating lunch is a great place for the business meeting, and I have my favorite spots about town.

So my recent article for Charleston Scene on the rise of "fast and fresh" food  was not only of interest to me as a writer, but as an eater as well. I'm pretty blatant about my dislike for national-chain restaurants (Waffle House, you make the cut, but for different reasons than the food), and so Charleston's thriving restaurant scene is a perfect down-filled nest for this little chicky. And its great food isn't just at the high end (congrats Husk!) but on the everyday plate as well.

The wraps at Black Bean Company filled with tofu, a treat even for a non-vegetarian. Just the smell and the smiles when you walk into The Pink Pig. The nachos at Zia Taqueria, and the Palapa Mas ... oh the Palapa Mas. And then there are the food trucks. Here is an ode to one tasty truck, by artist Leslie McKellar. My sentiments, exactly, on discovering that good food and good ingredients are at every price point in Charleston food.



No comments:

Post a Comment