Sunday, December 9, 2012

Foodie Philanthropists Took Me to the Farm, to the Table, Too

I got a mini-tour of the South for my latest article for The Local Palate, out in this month's issue. I talked to people in Atlanta, Nashville, Virginia, New Orleans and South Carolina, which was a lot for one article!


As a writer, the challenge for this piece was weaving a connection between each of the interviews. Yes, all of these people were using food to help others, but I wanted to try to map how each of them suddenly realized that they had a resource -- food -- that could be used to help.

We so often say, "But what could I do?" Well, these 5 people answered, and we're talking questions that ranged from urban blight to flood victims and more. And they all answered with "I can grow something or cook something."

Read an excerpt of the article here, and then pick up the latest issue and see all 5 stories of change through the catalyst of food. I hope you'll be as inspired as I was.

No comments:

Post a Comment