Thursday, October 30, 2008

Beautiful Saturday in Highlands

Driving in the mountains was a treat this past weekend. Now I understand they are covered in a dusting of snow, but last Saturday when I arrived in Highlands, the sky was clear blue, and the leaves, although past their prime and starting to fall in droves, still made a great contrast. 

Highlands was packed for the "leaf-lookers" Saturday, and I had to park three blocks away from the bookstore for my signing. (In Highlands, that's basically at the edge of town. :)) Still, Cyrano's, one of my favorite bookstores, was just as inviting as always. A steady stream of people entered the store the entire time I was there for my signing, asking for reading advice since Cyrano's is known for choosing the best titles to fill its small space. A good many stopped by my table and chatted, thanks to coverage about my signing in The Highlander, and some related a few of the best ghost stories I'll hear all year. 

But my stay was short, just a couple of hours. After a chicken salad sandwich (slightly sweet and delicious) at the Sports Page deli down the street, it was back "off the hill" as Highlanders say, to my Piedmont North Carolina home. And this evening, I'm off to Charlotte for a few more signings ... and I hope a few more ghost stories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment