Wednesday, September 28, 2011

What does meditation look like?

Be honest. When you saw the title of this blog, a vision popped into your head. Something probably like this:


But I've been thinking: If meditation is for ME, to help ME, does it have to look like this in my world? I've sat like this in yoga class before, enjoyed it in yoga class before, but honestly, I don't sit like this outside the classroom. I think I am going to do it, but then I never do, for various reasons ranging from not enough floor room to my feet falling asleep. Does that mean I am never going to meditate?

The short answer -- no. I've noticed that naturally I fall into more of a contemplative state when I moving in a way that I don't have to think about. And I have to be outside. Like swinging on a porch swing, or jogging down the street. My mind is just enough occupied with the movement that it pauses the racing thoughts and I can just be. Not necessarily empty of thoughts but letting thoughts pass and being in the present. 

Meet my newest meditation tool, Bessie the Beach Cruiser. I designed her myself at Affordabike, and she is a pure vision of turquoise and white meditation with a smile. 


So don't be stuck in how you think you should do something or what that something looks like. Just think about what feels right to you. And find a space where you can just be, whereever and whatever that looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment