Friday, July 15, 2011

Time is Of the Essence

Ok. I am obsessed with time as a concept, a "reality" and a fleeting thing. Yep. I've always been one to feel like I am running out. Want to get inside my head a little (you asked, right)? Here are some common time-related thoughts:

1. Fitzgerald had his first novel published at 25 and was a sensation, so I am really behind.
2. On the other hand, William Carlos Williams didn't start his poetry career until he retired, but let's be honest, it wasn't like he was slacking. He was a doctor.
3. While I'm drying my hair upside down for volume, I can catch up on my reading (been doing this since high school).
4. One day ...

But despite sounding like a bit of a jumpy jackrabbit, I've always had a particular view of time. I view the calendar as a track oval, not as a timeline, and when I visualize the calendar year, it's in 3D in this formation. I haven't come to construct this "calendar track" in my mind -- it's simply always been there.

While in graduate school, I wrote a big paper on time in the works of Faulkner and Toni Morrison and asserted that the past, present and future exist simultaneously both in their fiction, and in the world. And although I love my track idea, I envision the yearly track as part of a larger uneven spiral where occasionally the rings come very close together.

similar to how I envision

As an author who has written numerous accounts of ghostly encounters, it makes sense to me that in those close spaces of the spiral are when the dimensions are more detectable.

I know it's Friday, but are you with me???

So, you can only imagine that the amazing television series, Through the Wormhole, is rocking my world. The DVR is set, and this week I watched the episode on Does Time Really Exist?, and it discussed simultaneous time states theory. Perhaps cheering in my living room in response was a major nerd-alert moment, but I am pretty much way past that point now anyway. Watch this show, then ask yourself, what is the "essence of time"?

No comments:

Post a Comment