Saturday, June 4, 2011

Anytime is a good time for a ghost story

My book, Ghost Stories of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County was really a labor of love for me back in 2003 when I wrote it. I'd grown up reading southern tales of ghosts from Nancy Roberts and others, but I never read any about my hometown, and finally I decided to remedy that. I researched the stories like the budding journalist I was, and in the process, happily became the first to collect some of Charlotte's tales of the past in the present.

And no matter what you think of Charlotte, its shiny buildings, its NASCAR hub, or it's suburbs endlessly bleeding out into the former tobacco and cotton fields of the Carolina Piedmont, it has a history. Really. I'm talking Revolutionary War. There's a little thing called the Mec Dec, still celebrated today.

Here I present a case in point: Rosedale, ca. 1815. And its growing legend of paranormal activity. I recently came across this account a reporter from The Charlotte Observer wrote about a night in 2007. And by the way, I'm "the writer about ghosts" Jeff Elder mentions in the story. I was there, one of the ones creeping about the darkened house on All Hallow's Eve ...

No comments:

Post a Comment