Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Connection to Inspiration

So far in the life of "From My Little Desk," you've been able to read lots of my articles and learn more about the people and the places I write about. We've been to various locales, such as the wildly exotic Knoxville, Tenn. -- hey, I fed a giraffe there! -- and met musicians, painters, potters, farmers and chefs.

But the evidence of a creative life (in my case, published articles) is really only the surface of "what I do," which is what people are often asking that I explain. How do you come up with things, Steph? How do you find these people? How do you write every day? How do you get artists to show up at an appointed time for an interview?

The articles only show a bit of the story of my life. No, stop holding your breath. I am not going to start posting pics of my dogs or my award-winning butternut squash here, although they are both deserved of multiple snapshots. And this is not going to be a laundry list of daily activities, vacations or how I am obsessed with various styles of chicken salad.

It's more about a sea change here at The Little Desk, which is defined as marked change, or a transformation. The articles are but an apartment door peephole into my creative life, which has always included an eye for inspiration and a yearning to connect to it, and now includes my creative consulting and pr business The Beehive.

The articles will still be here, but authors such as Elizabeth Spann Craig have really set me to thinking. She writes a daily blog about the writing craft, creating a resource for writers but also giving her a space to think about her own work, dissect it and study it and feed her creativity in the process.

So this will be my connection to inspiration and creativity. Pull up a chair at the desk. There's room for you here too ...

No comments:

Post a Comment