Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Getting rid of the dead-ends

A few weeks ago, I got to chat with Jody Cedzidlo of Flytrap Studios, an apparel design studio in North Carolina. We had a really good talk, especially about supposed dead-end jobs that are actually amazing tools and not "dead-end" at all.

Most of the creative people I know, and I'd lump myself in this category as well, have had what we thought as "dead-end" jobs. But Jody doesn't really call them that, she calls them cul-de-sacs. Perfect! That means you don't have to start over, turn around and trace the same path you just came to get to this big stop. No, it just means that you need to explore the curve then gently redirect on down the street.

Usually when you're in one of these jobs, you have a gut reaction at some point that just says "no." Then the fight or flight mechanism kicks in.

Fight: "This is not what I was trained for."
Flight: "I don't want to be here."
Fight: *Maybe non-verbally* "All you people here need to see that I am better than this job."
Flight: "What's the point -- I can just blend in."
Fight: "Ok -- I learned x lesson or y lesson, universe, so I deserve to be released from this dead-end cage!"

These reactions hit close to home for me, and spiritually, emotionally and mentally, I've been there. But think about the image comparison of a cul-de-sac vs. a dead end. It's really open versus closed, and I don't know about you, but I've been in many neighborhood where I accidentally turned down a street that ended up being a cul-de-sac (open). However, there are usually warning signs for a dead end street (closed) and sometimes I even have to put the car in reverse to get out of there!

Thanks Jody, for this imagery, and oh yeah, for the great clothing designs!


How she maneuvered out of her cul-de-sac is in the article I wrote for Go Triad, so read for inspiration and ask yourself, what is my cul-de-sac?

No comments:

Post a Comment